Derwent Island (originally known as Vicar’s Island) was owned by Fountains Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries, when it became the property of the Crown. The island was sold off in 1569 to the Company of Mines Royal. Joseph Pocklington bought the island in 1778 and built a house, boathouse, fort and battery, and Druid circle folly on the island. Henry Marshall purchased the island in 1844 and employed architect Anthony Salvin to add a wing and a three-storey tower to Pocklington’s house.
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed RAWs Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.