“Vancouver Island’s West Coast was one of Canada’s most dangerous coastlines – its rocky shores have been the final resting place for dozens of ships earning it the nickname the Graveyard of the Pacific. Amphitrite Lighthouse, built in 1906 was one of several lighthouses constructed to help sailors navigate the region’s treacherous waters.”
Originally, the lighthouse was lit with a Wigham lamp, a type of lamp developed in the 1900s by the Canadian Coast Guard. The lamp was fueled by a large vat of mineral oil and had a long wick that was drawn out by clock work. In 1914 it was demolished by a tidal wave and replaced by a traditional lantern.
The Lighthouse is located on the western edge of Amphitrite Point which was named for the naval warship the HMS Amphitrite in 1859 by Captian George H. Richards of the Royal Navy. In 1906 a wooden lighthouse was built on the Point after the tragic shipwreck of the Pass of Melfort in 1905. After the original was destroyed by storm waves in 1914 it was replaced with the current lighthouse in 1915. Amphitrite Lighthouse was automated by the Canadian Coast Guard in 1988.
Live Web Cam: http://www.amphitritelighthouse.com
Nikon 2.8 14-24 at 14mm
5 images images
F11 at 1/50 – 1/800
Nik Viveza on sky
NIK HDR Reprocessed