Pilgrimages to the Lluc Monastery, or the Monestir de Nostra Senyora de Lluc, have been going on for many years. The site of the Monastery was actually a pagan spiritual site before, like so many Christian sites today. Also, pre-historic Mallorcans paid visits to caves here.
Lluc comes from the word lucus which is Latin for ‘sacred wood’, and woods of oak and cypress are plentiful of on the journey up to the monastery. This is still a centre for religious pilgrimage, and many come to see the statue of the Virgin, ‘La Moreneta’, which has an accompanying Christian story about a shepherd called Luke/Lluc who found a coloured statue in the woods and took it to a monk who was a little perturbed on seeing the virgin statue glow.
This is the front facade of the original Renaissance-Baroque church which was built during 1622-84 and designed by Jaume Blanquer.
There is a notable school choir based here, and there are school grounds behind the church which belong to the Los Blauets school choir. This choir dates back to 1531, and they wear blue cassocks, hence their name!