My first Journal entry is not about me, but about something I discovered (iMacros) thanks to a happy combination of events: I sent a rather desperate plea to the help people at RB, and I got a very prompt reply from Jo, directing me to a very new post in the Friends of RB forum – check it out. I’m guessing DR will be swamped pretty quickly with requests, though… Anyway, I decided to try this new thing for myself, and here are the steps that worked for me – so well, in fact, that I decided to put this in a Journal entry, hoping that more hosts could get their life back:
- If you don’t have Firefox yet, install it (mozilla.com)
- While in Firefox, search on the Mozilla site for ‘*iMacro*’ – you get only one result, install the add-on, restart Firefox.
- Click the new icon next to the address bar, you get a little side bar on the left.
- Go to the art pages of the group to clean and the page you want to start from (page 500? there it is in the group I just finished cleaning up (as at 24th February 2010) If It Doesn’t Belong)
- Click on the Rec tab of the sidebar and click Record
- Go to the first picture, click Remove, press Return when the ‘are you sure?’ dialog box opens up
- Wait until the page reloads, and click on the Stop button.
- Go to the Play tab, and in the Repeat Macro field, put a number (default is 3, I used 100 to test) and click on Play (Loop).
- Make coffee and watch :-)
The speed? Cleaned up about 1000 pages over one week, while sleeping! Worth a try, I say :-)
For the adventurous
Go to the Edit tab, copy the last couple of lines, paste under the last line a few times, and after saving and closing this, go to the Play tab, set the loop to 500.
The only thing to watch for that I noticed so far: every now and then you may get an error page (I got 502 – Bad Gateway) – just refresh the page by pressing F5 and restart the macro. Oh, and you may run out of pages :-)
Last updated: 24 February 2010