In 1339, a document refers to “the ford at Barford”, the river crossing point important since Anglo-Saxon times. The first record of a medieval bridge is in 1484 and was described by Leland in 1540,as “a greate stone bridge over the Avon consisting of eight fayre arches”. Ireland’s “Warwickshire Avon” published in 1795, tells of the building of the present bridge in sandstone by the architect Henry Couchman, the County Bridgemaster, at a cost of just over £2,400. It replaced a Gothic one with seven arches and a small tower at its northern end which was falling into decay. (Barford Heritage Group)
This ‘New’ Bridge is now Grade II Listed
Featured in European Everyday Life Group
Featured in Our Photography and Odd One Out Group
Featured in The Power of Photography Group
Featured in the A Little Bit Country Group
TopTen in the A Little Bit Country Challenge.
Sigma 24-70mm D 1:2.8 EX DG