The South Stack Lighthouse has warned passing ships of the treacherous rocks below since its completion in 1809. The 28 m (91 ft) lighthouse was designed by Daniel Alexander and the main light is visible to passing vessels for 28 miles, and was designed to allow safe passage for ships on the treacherous Dublin – Holyhead – Liverpool sea route.
The Lighthouse is now operated remotely from Trinity House but in the past the Keepers and their families all lived on the island. The only way of crossing the deep water channel on to the island was in a basket which was suspended on a hemp cable until the suspension bridge was built in 1828.
Featured in Architecture – The British Isles Group
Featured in Going Coastal Group
Featured in the Snaptacular! Group
Featured in the Featured Men Photogaphers Group
1507 Views @ 17/02/16
Sigma 24-70mm D 1:2.8 EX DG