An overview of the ruins of Brederode Castle in the Netherlands.
It was originally build by the knight Willem of Brederode in the first half of the 13th century. Around 1300 CE. His towerhouse was located on an incredibly strategic location, a narrow sandbank in the middle of an impenitrable peat swamp. The swamp itself formed a narow land bridge between the waters of the North Sea in the west and the Oer-IJ in the east.
The original tower was demolished and replaced by the present square castle. It was a formidable fortress, consisting of two big residential wings with a massive square tower at each corner and a two storey curtain wall on the remaining sides. A round tower guarded the place where the curtain wall formed an angle.
In the 1350’s the castle was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. It has not been inhabited since that time but had been used as a military base during the following years.Unfortunately the castle was gradually destroyed and fell into decay. The southern side was destroyed during battle in 1426 and the castle was plundered again in 1492, during the “rise of the cheese and bread folk”, a rise of peasants, protesting against a high increase of taxes.
Finally the castle was plundered and burned by spanish soldiers and the owner Lancelot of Brederode was decapitated by the spanish for being a protestant.
After that time, the ruin was lost underneath the coastal dunes. Only the remnants of some of its towers poking out from the sand, providing a romantic subject for painters for several centuries.
In the 19th century, this ruin was one of the first historical buildings to be restored and consolidated by the Dutch state and it was the first State Monument.