The Cathedral of Saint Martin or Dom Church (in Dutch: Domkerk) was the cathedral of the diocese of Utrecht during the Middle Ages. Once the country’s largest church and only cathedral, dedicated to St. Martin of Tours, it has been a Protestant church since 1580. The building is the one church in the Netherlands that closely resembles the classic Gothic style as developed in France. All other Gothic churches in the Netherlands belong to one of the many regional variants. Unlike its French predecessors, the Dom church has only one tower, the 112 m (368 ft) high Dom Tower, which is the hallmark of the city.
The current cmplex consists of the transept (pictured), choir and the 112 m tall tower (which stands on the other side of a square). originally there was an enormous nave as well, but due to money problems it was a very shabby construction, lacking a vaulted roof, most windows, most decoration and
most importantly butresses. it collapsed in 1674 when the city was hit by what was probably a tornado. in any case, the remaining parts have always been of most interest to architecture lovers, the missing part however, is not particularly missed.