First settled by Europeans in 1794, the town of Richmond 63km west of Sydney occupies a rural position. Situated on a rise overlooking the fertile river flats of the Hawksbury River. Richmond is the second largest of Governor Maquarie`s five Hawksbury Valley river towns which he established in 1810. For the record the other towns were Windsor, (the largest town) Castlereagh, Wilberforce and Pitt Town. The same rich alluvial flats of the Hawksbury River have been the food bowl of Sydney since farms were established by those first early settlers. Governor Phillip named the town in honour of the Duke of Richmond when in 1789 in search of suitable land to grow food for the colonies need he climbed a small hill overlooking the river flats and called it Richmond Hill.
Richmond is an elegant town with tree lined streets of Tiboochinas, Crepe Myrtyles, Jacarandas and Liquid Ambers providing year round colour. The cricket oval in the heart of town is reminiscent of an English village. For anyone who admires colonial architecture a walk down Windsor Street, the main street, and March and Francis Streets running parallel on either side will reward you with the sight of many historical Victorian buildings, some of which are still private residencies.
The beautiful Pughs Lagoon and Smith Park at the western end of town provide a delightful picnic area with tables and electric BBQ`s provided. The many water birds including swans, ducks, water hens and the friendly Geese that inhabit the lagoon are a particular joy for children.
For those touring in their RV`s or caravans, Richmond Club has established a free overnight stay at Wanderest travellers Park in Francis St, opposite the club.
Description of an historic semi rural town on the outskirts of Sydney, NSW, Australia.