Featured in Canadian Historical and Pioneer Sites – Nov 15, 2010
Featured in Alberta – Wild Rose Country – Nov 12, 2010
Featured photo of the day in The World As We See It, or as we missed it – Aug 9, 2010
Featured in The World As We See It, or as we missed it – Aug 9, 2010
SOLD large framed print
SOLD small mounted print
The Cardston Alberta Temple (formerly the Alberta Temple) is the eighth constructed and sixth operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Located in Cardston, Alberta, Canada it is the oldest LDS temple outside the United States. It is one of eight temples that do not have an angel Moroni statue, and one of three without spires, similar to Solomon’s Temple. The other two are the Laie Hawaii Temple and the Mesa Arizona Temple. It is also one of only two Mormon temples built in the shape of a cross, the other being the Laie Hawaii Temple.
The temple was announced on June 27, 1913, and was built on Temple Hill, an eight-acre plot given to the church by Charles Ora Card. The site expanded to more than 10 acres (40,000 m2) in the mid-1950s. The granite used in building the temple was hand-hewn from quarries in Nelson, British Columbia.
The first president of the temple was Edward J. Wood, who served from 1923 to 1948.
In 1992, the temple was declared a National Historic Site, and a plaque was dedicated in 1995.