The famous icon of Rutland Water.
A lovely county, the smallest in England.
Taken with a Nikon D80
Featured – Architecture of the British Isles group Aug 2011.
Featured – Christian Churches group May 2012
23 Nov 2011 – 105 views.
25 Jan 201 – 515 views.
The manor of Normanton can be traced back as far as the Norman Conquest when it became the property of the Umfravilles. At a later date it passed onto the Normanville family and this is where it may have derived it’s name.
The manor of Normanton had a long succession of different heirs until it was acquired by the Earl of Ancaster in nineteenth century.
The Earl of Ancaster’s main seat was Grimsthorpe Castle, near Bourne in Lincolnshire and when he sold the Estate Normanton Hall was demolished in the early 1920s.
Today Normanton Church and part of the Normanton Estate is owned by the Anglian Water Authority.
There is very little knowledge about the history of early churches at Normanton. Relics found in the early twentieth century suggest a fourtheenth century building.
In the mid 1760s the church was rebuilt by adding chancel and nave to the existing tower but it was a very basic building. In 1826 there was a Gothic turret peeping out of the undergrowth and the fourth baronet at Normanton commissioned a new tower and portico by Thomas Cundy that was formally known as St. Matthews Church.