Jack O' Lantern

Gary L   Suddath

Joined August 2007

  • Available
    Products
    12
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 29

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

The Jack O’ Lantern mushroom, Omphalotus illudens/olearius. This beautiful orange mushroom often grows in large clumps around the base of hardwoods, and is often abundant. This is a very toxic mushroom and is occasionally consumed in error by inexperienced mushroom pickers who think they’ve found the mother lode of Chanterelles, which are actually quite different than this species, but if one is going just by a photo in a field guide, then the mistake might be made. If you eat this mushroom, it probably won’t kill you, but it’s said that if you are unfortunate enough to eat these, you will wish that it would kill you, as it causes violent illness that usually requires hospitalization. This autumn mushroom is said to glow in the dark due to the presence of a chemical called luciferin, but many people report being unable to see this phenomenon.

Canon 5D Mark II
24-105mm F4L @ 50mm
Aperture-Priority f/16
SS 0.8
ISO 100
Bogen 3021pro/ 488 RC2
Canon cable release
RAW

Artwork Comments

  • JStockhaus
  • Fred Mitchell
  • WatscapePhoto
  • kathy s gillentine
  • Gerry  Temple
  • jadeast
  • J.K. York
  • Seth  Weaver
  • Sandy Woolard
  • JohnMWright
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.