Col. Hamp Tipton had this house built after the Civil War. He lived across the mountain but 2 of his daughters lived here for a time. They taught school there in the cove. Later a blacksmith James McCaulley rented it till he could get his own place. It is located on the Cades Cove Loop Rd.,in the Great Smoky Mountains NP.It is an example of the late 1800’s Appalachian home place.The covering seen behind the house on the right side was where the bee hives were kept. Honey was a valuable trade item.