The Enloe-Floyd Barn is located at The Mountain Farm Museum on U.S. 441 adjacent to the national park’s Oconaluftee Visitor Center, two miles north of Cherokee. The site is open year-round
The barn is the only museum building original to the site. It was part of the Joseph Enloe farm. The Enloe house, built in the 1880s, stood on the site now occupied by the Oconaluftee Visitor Center. In 1917 the Enloes sold their farm to the Floyds, a neighboring family. When the museum opened, the barn was initially left on its original site, about 30 yards from the present-day Visitor Center. It was moved to its current location within the museum complex in 1960.
Fifty feet wide and 60 feet long with a “shotgun” opening down the middle, the structure has several stalls and storage areas on each side of the long “hallway.” Upstairs there is a vast hayloft large enough to store a 2,500 square foot suburban home.
Thought to be a “Drover’s barn” it is similar to the cantilevered barn in having a large, overhanging, frame loft for hay storage In this case, the loft is supported by log piers. This structure is much bigger than most barns, for it served as a “cattle hotel”, a place where farmers could stable their herds for a night as they drove them off the mountains to market