Taken from the parking lot at Clingmans Dome,GSMNP. The mountain was named for Brigadier General Thomas Lanier Clingman, by Arnold Guyot a geographer. Clingman in the 1850’s was the first to accurately measure the height of the mountain.
The mountain was called Kuwa’hi (the mulberry place) by the Cherokee. This is where the legendary great bear chief and doctor dwelled.In whose magic bath the wounded bears are restored to health…Settlers first called it Smoky Dome then later was called Mount Buckley before Guyot named it offically