This church was organized in the 1820s with services held in a log building until the building of this structure. The Methodists were not as numerous as the dominant Baptists here, and often depended on a circuit riding preacher. Another church, Hopewell Methodist, is marked only by a cemetery today was across the cove. The Civil War caused division in the church so several started going to Hopewell.
In 1902 this structure and its furnishings were reportedly the work of one man. J. D. McCampbell, a blacksmith and carpenter, built it in 115 days of $115. Afterward, he became its preacher for many years.
The two doors are a result of the plans used to build this structure. In some churches ladies and children entered through the left door, and men through the right one. A divider separated the two groups, causing frustration among courting couples. They are no indication they practiced this separation here.