Built in 1857 in a remote location at the entrance to Shoreham Harbour, as protection for the English coast against the threat of an enemy French invasion. The fort fell into ruin subsequently although artillery were sighted here in the first World War.
Reportedly the location of the first film studio in Sussex, due to the clear costal light.
Partially restored around the 1970s and the local council hope to complete the restoration of the fort to it’s former state, with public support.
Photographed from the seaward beach showing the walls and mound which has the remains of the gun emplacements.
Photographed 4th June 2011.
Camera details: Nikon D7000, 18-200VR lens at 20mm, f/4.5, 1/200s, iso 100, raw. Software: Capture NX2