This is Holland – collection
A walk through Marken – series
Marken, North Holland, the Netherlands
Marken is a peninsula in the IJsselmeer, the Netherlands, located in the municipality Waterland in the province North Holland. It is a former island, which nowadays (since 1957) is connected to the North Holland mainland by a causeway. Marken, originally an isolated fishers community, is now a well-known tourist attraction, well-known for its characteristic wooden houses and the typical traditional costumes
In the 13th century monks from the abbey Mariëngaarde from Friesland went to settle on the island. Their main means for living were agriculture and stock farming. To protect themselves against the water, they started building dikes around the isle, and build their houses on ‘werven’ – artificially heightened grounds.
In the 14th century, the dikes repeatedly were broken by the sea, and the salt water got free way again. Inhabitants of the isle started to specialise in fishing.
The construction of the ‘Afsluitdijk’ (Enclosure Dam) in 1932 meant the end of this source of income.
In October 1957, the dike between the main land and Marken was opened.
The village of Marken exists of several neigborhoods that originally were separated, but now some of those neighbourhoods are connected to one another.
The typical wooden houses have several building types that are easily recognized: the tightly packed houses on the ‘werf’ (artificial building hill), the pole-houses, with their now closed under-houses, and the houses without basements which stand below sea-level on the meadows, built after the closing of the Afsluitdijk (Closing dike), that separated the Zuider-sea from the North-sea. The bleaching paddocks for the washing, now used as gardens, can be clearly seen in several places.
The “Horse of Marken” is the lighthouse of Marken. The lighthouse, devised by J. Valk and built in 1839, stands on the Eastern point of the island. The Tower has an hight of 16 meters and licht-reach of 16.7 km.
The lighthouse tower started as a square fire beacon in 1700. Later some buildings were added to the tower, which gave the lighthous its characteristic form. In 1814, a fog bel was added to the tower. In 1839, is the round tower was built on the basis of the original square fire beacon. In 1919, the fog bel has been replaced by a fog horn.
Regularly the lighthouse suffers from drifting ice. In 1971, this was so bad that the tower was pushed some centimetres of its place. At present the lighthouse is inhabited.
Since 1970 the lighthouse has the status of national monument.
Photo made with Pentax K10D camera and
Tamron 70-300mm Tele-macro1:2 lens
1/500 sec f unknown
300mm ISO 200
Pseudo HDR of 4 different exposures (Lightroom) of the same pic – processed in Dynamic Photo HDR and edited in Photoshop 7.0
Features and Top10 placements
Top 10 placement in Down by the sea – This, that and the other thing (March 31, 2011)
Thank you so much to the hosts of these marvellous groups and challenges
You can now also search my portfolio using
Steppeland Thematic Catalogue