This ancient and remarkable fortress is the home of Sir Humphry Wakefield Bt., his wife The Hon. Lady Wakefield and their family. Since 1246 the Castle has been owned by one continuous blood line with the Earls Grey ruling the Castle for the founding centuries. Those Grey Lords built the Castle’s alarming dungeons and torture chambers, as well as the beautiful parklands and gardens.
This 12th century stronghold, became ‘base-camp’ for the 1298 conquering attack on William Wallace by “Hammer of the Scots”, King Edward 1st. Wallace had raided the previous year, burning the women and children to death in the local abbey. The Castle was given permission to add battlements by King Edward III in 1344 (See the actual License in the Castle). The Elizabethans added ‘Long Galleries’ and Capability Brown designed the park in 1752. The glorious Italian garden was laid out in the 19th century by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville, fresh from his royal triumphs at Windsor Castle. Royal visits from 1200s to this century, and winner of many architectural awards.
Taken with a Nikon D80 and a Sigma 10-20 lens.
Shutter speed 1-125th sec
Focal length 12mm
F stop 9
Featured in Canon v Nikon Group March 2011
Featured in Architecture of the British Isles – July 2011