- Featured in “A Night somewhere…” Group – December 4, 2009
- Featured in “History” Group – August 31, 2009
- Third place in the “Steeples” Challenge (August 5, 2009) launched by “History” Group – MANY THANKS FOR YOUR VOTES
- Featured in the “Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses” Group – July 19, 2009
The bell tower ot the Cathedral of Cremona, is the famous Torrazzo, symbol of the city and tallest pre-modern tower in Italy.
The Torrazzo of Cremona (Lombardy, Italy) is the bell tower of the Cathedral of Cremona. At 112.7 metres, it is the second highest lateritious bell tower in the world built, the first being the Bavarian Landshut Cathedral tower (1432).
According to popular tradition, construction on the tower began in 754. In reality, it was built in four phases: a first dating back to the 1230s, up to the third dripstone, a second, between 1250 and 1267, up to the dripstone under the quadriphore, a third around 1284, and the completion of the marble spire in 1309.
Its height is announced by a plaque embedded in the wall at the base of the Torrazzo itself, stating 250 arms and 2 ounces, which in the ancient measuring system of the towns translates to approximately 111 metres.
Archaeological excavations made in the 1980s have discovered the presence of underlying structures which are supposed to be the remains of a more ancient churchyard (or a cemetery associated to it), or even previous Roman buildings.
In the Torrazzo’s fourth storey resides the largest astronomical clock in the world. The mechanism was built by Francesco and Giovan Battista Divizioli (father and son) between 1583 and 1588. The exterior, originally painted by Paolo Scazzola in 1483 but later repainted many times, represents the sky with zodiac constellations and the Sun and Moon moving through them.