McEwan Hall in Teviot Place is part of Edinburgh University and serves as the venue for graduation ceremonies and other academic events. The semi-circular classical amphitheatre is crowned with a huge dome over the main auditorium. The intricacies of the structure entailed lengthy building works and it took nearly a decade before it was eventually completed in 1897.
The architect, Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, had a prodigious output in a variety of styles. He designed lots of churches, monuments, schools and other public buildings throughout the city. His most monumental work was the huge Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Queen Street. He also turned his hand to church furnishings such as the pulpit of St Giles Cathedral and the lavish altar of St Mary’s R.C. Cathedral.
McEwan Hall was Anderson’s most flamboyant creation, produced with a budget which allowed for extravagance in both its internal and external finishes.