(1st Place out of 134 entries)
Leeds Parish Church, or the Parish Church of Saint Peter-at-Leeds, in Leeds, West Yorkshire is a large Church of England Parish Church of major architectural and liturgical significance. The City of Leeds does not have a Church of England cathedral, but there is a Roman Catholic cathedral (Leeds Cathedral) with which the Parish Church enjoys very close associations, sustaining particularly strong clerical and musical links with successive deans, clergy and musicians.
An early 7th century church on this site was burned down in 633 AD. A church at Ledes is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book. The church was rebuilt after a fire in the 14th century, and again in the 19th century. Walter Farquhar Hook as Vicar of Leeds was responsible for the construction of the present building consecrated on 2 September 1841 with Florence Nightingale and Dr Edward Bouverie Pusey in the congregation. The architect was Robert Dennis Chantrell and the first Organist of the new Church Dr Samuel Sebastian Wesley. At the time of its construction, the new Leeds Parish Church was the largest new Church in England built since Sir Christopher Wren’s new St Paul’s Cathedral erected in the years following the Great Fire of London and consecrated in 1707. Among very many famous artefacts and memorials still in the present Leeds Parish Church are the celebrated Anglian cross on the altar flat and a brass commemorating Captain Oates of Scott’s ill-fated Antarctic expedition, who had strong Leeds connections. Glorious Flemish stained glass enhances the apse of Chantrell’s interior – he designed the windows to fit the glass – and of more recent date (1997) is Sally Scott’s magnificent Angel Screen at the north, Tower Porch, entrance -one of the finest examples of contemporary glass engraving and a truly munificent gift from the family of the late Lord Marshall of Leeds. The superb organ, parts of which date from 1841 and earlier, is one of the finest instruments to be found in any English parish church; in essence, it is a Harrison and Harrison of 1914 vintage, but incorporating significant amounts of pipework by the famous Edmund Schulze. (Info Source: Wikipedia)
Nikon D60, tamron 10-24 mm lens @ 11 mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, handheld, no flash.
single jpeg file converted to 3 exposures in PS (-1, 0, 1).
tone mapped in Photomatix.
adjustments in PS.