(3rd Place out of 41 entries)
Edward III used the castle as a residence and held Parliaments. In 1346 King David II of Scotland was held prisoner. In 1365 Edward III improved the castle with a new tower on the west side of the Middle Bailey and a new prison under the High Tower. In 1376 Peter de la Mare, speaker of the House of Commons was confined in Nottingham Castle for having ‘taken unwarrantable liberties with the name of Alice Perrers, mistress of the king’.
In 1387 the state council was held in the castle. Richard II held the Lord Mayor of London with Aldermen and Sheriffs in the castle in 1392, and held another state council to humble Londoners. The last visit recorded by Richard II was in 1397 when another council was held here.
From 1403 until 1437 it was the main residence of Henry IV’s queen, Joan.
After the residence of Joan maintenance was reduced. Only upon the Wars of the Roses did Nottingham Castle begin to be used again as a military stronghold. Edward IV proclaimed himself king in Nottingham, and in 1476 he ordered the construction of a new tower and Royal Apartments. This was described by John Leland in 1540 as: the moste bewtifullest part and gallant building for Lodgyng… a right sumptuus pece of stone work.
During the reign of King Henry VII the castle remained a royal fortress. Henry VIII ordered new tapestries for the castle before he visited Nottingham in August in 1511. By 1536 Henry had the castle reinforced and its garrison increased from a few dozen men to a few hundred.
In 1538 the Constable, the Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland, reported on the need for maintenance. A survey in 1525 stated that there was much ‘dekay and ruyne of said castell’ and ‘part of the roof of the Great Hall is fallen down. Also the new building there is in dekay of timber, lead and glass’. (Info Source: wikipedia)
Nikon D60, tamron 10-24 mm lens, handheld, with flash, f/4.5, 1/200, ISO 100, 11 mm focal length.
single jpg file converted to 3 exposures in PS (-1, 0, 1).
tone mapped in Photomatix.
b&w in PS.