Originally built as a small manor house in the 14th century, this building is a rare example of such an early domestic dwelling in the south west corner of England. It’s life as a post office began in the 19th century, when Sir Rowland Hill’s introduction of the Penny Postage in 1840 led to the improvement of postal services in remote country places like Tintagel.
In 1892 the owner of the Old Post Office decided to sell it for redevelopment, and the General Post Office moved its business across the street. By 1895 the building had become virtually derelict and was put up for auction.
In 1900 the National Trust agreed to buy the building from a Miss Johns for a nominal £200, raised by public appeal. The purchase was subject to a lease to Miss Johns for her lifetime and the building was finally vested in the Trust in 1903.