It began as a Methodist Church, built in 1859, but was active as such for only a short time. The Calvinist Baptists borrowed the building for a time in 1877-8, while their own new church was abuilding on the nearby hill top. Then the Free Will Baptists borrowed it, and for some years it stood unused. Eventually the Purling Beck Grange No 268, organized in East Washington 1898, came to the rescue. They purchased the building for one hundred dollars and promptly gave it to the local Baptist Society in exchange for an unconditional lease for as long as the grange holds its New Hampshire charter. For a hundred years now it has served comfortably as Grange Hall and community center for the village of East Washington. “Purling Beck” is Swedish for “babbling brook.”
Taken 10/12/09 in E. Washington, New Hampshire USA in the peak of foliage season.
(It’s simply a matter of doing what you do best and not worrying about what the other fellow is going to do.
John R. Amos)
Nikon D300, PSE 7, Photomatix and finished in Picasa (1 raw image), 200 ISO, 70×300, handheld