The Cleveland Public Library is the twelfth largest public library in the United States. With over 4, 630, 000 volumes it is hardly anything to sneeze at.
In fact, Ohio has three huge stores of books and media: The Cincinnati and Hamilton County Library, The Cleveland Public Library and the Cuyahoga County Public Library are all in the top 25 of Public Libraries in the United States.
The most recent edition to the vast floor space of the Downtown Main Branch of the Cleveland Public Library (hereafter CPL) is seen here. This is the 1997 Louis Stokes Wing which is a marvel of architecture. It towers over the 1925 Main Building at 10 stories.
The CPL is patronized by over 800,000 people every year. Thirty-one branches keep the Cleveland populous among the literate in the nation.
A few years ago, the CPL and CCPL (Cuyahoga County Public Library) joined forces to allow Greater Access to both libraries, thereby opening up new avenues for people to secure materials from one or the other systems.
In 1947, the library was given the auspicious assignment of holding records for the state of Ohio by the United Nations Library Network.
The CPL also has a public administration library located inside Cleveland City Hall.
Finally, the CPL is also in the CLEVNET system, a membership role that includes 28 local Northern Ohio libraries.
To say that the CPL is important as a vast resourced public entity and perhaps far and above, a store house of information, knowledge and power is something of an understatement.