Constructed in 1930, the Ponquogue Draw Bridge was the sole access to the Atlantic Ocean in the Hampton Bays area until 1986 when the new, modern, stationary bridge was constructed by Suffolk County.
The Southampton Town Board, then under the direction of Supervisor Marty Lang, petitioned Suffolk County to leave both the North and South Bridge approaches of the old bridge in place to be used for fishing access into the prime area of Shinnecock Bay.
Over the years wind, tides, and time have taken their toll on the facility and it fell into disrepair due to a lack of funding.
In 1997, Supervisor Vincent Cannuscio and the Town Board began a process to secure funding for a complete renovation of this historic fishing site. Necessary funding was obtained through the town, New York Department of State, and New York Department of Environmental Conservation to complete the project. Renovations continued under the direction of the Town Department of Parks and Recreation and the Town Trustees. Read more