The Table Cape Lighthouse, NW Tasmania
Table Cape area first settled and developed by the Van Dieman’s Land Company in the 1820’s.
A marine board was established for the nearby Port of Wynyard in 1868. The port had grown during the 1850’ to cope with the burgeoning timber trade.
The board established two iron beacons at the mouth of the Inglis River in 1870.
After several shipping incidents in the area, Table Cape was examined by Mr J.C. Climie, a railway engineer, for its suitability for a lighthouse.
Table Cape is a spectacular flat topped promontory with a sheer drop to the sea.
Construction began and the tower and cottages were completed and in service in 1888. The tower was constructed of brick then, painted white. It has a circular steel stairway and a steel fly-over gangway to the door which is set above the below ground level base. The keeper’s cottages were built of stone.