Crichton Castle,taken at Midlothian Edinburgh Scotland UK
Crichton Castle stands tucked away out of sight, on a terrace overlooking the River Tyne in Midlothian. It was a noble residence for some 200 years, from the late 14th century through to the close of the 16th century. It was seldom the stage for significant events. However, its connections with two influential families – the Crichtons and the Hepburn Earls of Bothwell – associate the place with some of the most colourful chapters in Scottish history.
The castle was built as a home of the Crichtons. With their fall from grace in 1484, the castle passed into the hands of the Hepburns of Hailes, Earls of Bothwell. The political intrigues of James, the 4th Earl, Mary Queen of Scots’ third husband, played themselves out far away from this sleepy corner of Midlothian. Following Bothwell’s downfall in 1567, the castle was briefly held by another complex individual, Francis Stewart. His tenure was brief, but his building legacy has endured to this day.