The Urban Alternative – Brochure
The Way of God’s Kingdom
July 26, 1999
“There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” (Proverbs 14:12)
Ever since man fell in the Garden of Eden, he has been consumed with seeking answers to his problems. The world has offered endless solutions – political, social, economic, even religious solutions. The results are not very impressive – an increase in violent crimes, broken families, racial division, injustice, unemployment, bankruptcy, homelessness, abortion, drunkenness, drug addiction, neglect, abuse, revenge, apathy… suicide.
The world’s agenda is like trying to drive an automobile from the outside. You can push it or pull it, moving it in some direction, but never getting near where you planned. An automobile must be driven from the inside to get where you want to go on the outside.
The world works from the outside in and from the top down with very little lasting success. Those who truly succeed, realize that life, as it is, must be transformed from the inside out and from the bottom up.
“As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.” (2 Samuel 22:31a)
Transforming individuals from the inside out and from the bottom up is what lies at the heart of The Urban Alternative’s mission. We believe the core cause of the problems we face is spiritual. Therefore, the only successful way to address these issues is spiritually. It is one in which God’s way, His Kingdom Agenda, rather the world’s way, serves as the authority and basis for what we do and how we do it at The Urban Alternative.
We are committed to God’s Kingdom Agenda. We believe proclaiming and applying the Gospel will first transform individuals, then families, churches and eventually our society. These four Biblical spheres of life interrelate, building on each other, coming from the inside out and from the bottom up.
“Then I will teach transgressors your ways and sinners will turn back to you.” (Psalm 51:13)
The Urban Alternative is a ministry that seeks to equip, empower and unite Christians to impact individuals, families, churches and communities for the rebuilding of lives from the inside out.
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
The Bible very clearly tells us, God’s thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are our ways His ways (Isaiah 55:8). Even Christians struggle with this paradox. American values have led many believers far from God’s Kingdom Agenda. Some have drifted so far that their life-style and values actually contradict God’s purpose for their lives.
The truth of God’s word must be taught and learned today more than ever. It is the mission of seeing lives transformed by Christ that compels us to do all we can to proclaim God’s Kingdom Agenda. Our strategy includes reaching and equipping as many people as possible with the Good News found in Christ through:
Victorious Life Conferences
Publishing books, audio & video tapes
Broadly casting through site and sound across our nation and around the world, technology allows The Alternative with Dr. Tony Evans to powerfully reach hundreds of thousands of individuals with the Gospel of Christ.
Through the airwaves of radio, The Alternative with Dr. Tony Evans is heard on more than 450 stations every day in the United States and in more than 40 countries internationally, and the number continues to grow. Through this program, countless numbers of men, women, boys and girls are given clear Biblical instruction, focusing on the challenges of everyday life.
In today’s visually oriented society, television can have a powerful impact on the viewer.
We are able to influence viewers through five cable outlets and the Inspirational Network (INSP) which broadcasts nationally to nearly 30 million households. Every week, The Alternative continues to reach an estimated ____ (number) households around the country.
Although thousands faithfully listen to the transforming messages of “The Alternative with Dr. Tony Evans” on the radio every day, unfortunately, many are still unable to listen because of conflicting schedules, interruptions or not having a local station that airs the program. That has changed. Now, Dr. Evans’ messages are available, not just in the U.S., but around the world through the Internet. Listeners have the option of hearing the current day’s broadcast, or exploring the archives for a particular program. To hear the radio program on the World Wide Web, log on to www.tonyevans.org.
For many pastors, Bible college or even seminary training has not prepared them for the complex issues of every day church life. Similarly, many lay leaders need additional theological and ministry skills training to effectively face the challenges of their community and congregation.
Transforming lives involves fact-to-face conferences that shape effective leaders for churches of tomorrow. Since 1988, our Church Development Conferences have been challenging pastors and lay leaders to become models of courage and faith. By adapting practical, Biblical methods of church ministry, our conferences have been helping congregations renew their sense of mission urgency.
Our annual Church Development Conference, is an intensive five-day program that offers more than 100 classes, focusing on church ministry and community revitalization.
Victorious Christian Life Conferences
Transforming churches and communities begins with the individual and family. Our Victorious Christian Life Conferences are designed to provide practical insights from a Biblical perspective. Participants are challenged to live according to God’s Word and His Kingdom Agenda in the four areas of life – personal, family, church and community.
This two-day seminar demonstrates how these four areas, when properly related to God and one another, lead to spiritual victory in all of life. Individuals are saved, families are reunited and people leave ready to make a difference in their churches and communities.
Our communities are changing, but not necessarily transforming. We know it takes more than just a single sermon or a powerful conference to make a lasting impact. We must reach our cities in an engaging manner with the compelling words of Christ. Acts 13:49 tells us “And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region.” Publishing has become an important extension of our conferences and broadcasting ministries.
We are fostering life-long learning partnerships with the people we serve by providing a variety of published materials. We offer books, audio tape series, videos, and booklets to strengthen and deepen an individual’s relationship with Christ. Publishing allows The Urban Alternative to shape individuals and families into effective witnesses of the gospel that, in turn, transform our cities… eventually our nation.
Project Turn Around is a comprehensive church-based, community ministry designed to significantly influence the lives of at-risk youth and their families. The Urban Alternative helps churches tailor this Kingdom-based community revitalization model to meet specific needs of their communities. To be effective, the following seven elements must work together:
• Church and Leadership Development – focuses on assessing, developing and equipping the church and its leadership for effective ministry. The results – maximum outreach to the community.
• Family Renewal – focuses on rebuilding and strengthening the family as a whole according to the Bible. The program is supported by the local church through mentoring, family counseling, parenting classes, legal aid, and juvenile intervention programs.
• Housing Redevelopment – focuses on stabilizing communities by establishing affordable housing, fostering safe neighborhoods, property beautification projects and encouraging positive relationships.
• Health Revitalization – focuses on assessing the deterioration of the physical and emotional health of communities and developing a strategic plan to combat these issues. This includes issues of prevention and intervention related to health education, food and clothing, available and affordable health care, athletic programs, and training in drug, gang and sexual abstinence.
• Community Mobilization and Reconciliation – focuses on utilizing all necessary resources to promote racial, gender, class and denominational reconciliation. This involves bridge building between races, developing community-wide Christian coalitions and linking the business community with suburban and inner-city churches to effectively transform each community.
• Educational Revitalization – focuses on creating new educational opportunities and strengthening existing educational systems in the community. This includes graduate equivalency education, literacy programs, life skill preparation, and outreaches to public and private schools.
• Business and Economic Development – focuses on assessing the economic needs within a congregation and its community. Strategies for change include financial planning, job training and placement, business and technical training, along with support for both start-up and existing businesses.
“Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:10)
Take another look at our world. Look beyond its degradation and realize God is in control. Because we are totally committed to God’s way – His Kingdom Agenda, our world is being transformed. First the individual, then the family, and eventually our cities and country. From the inside out and from the bottom up The Urban Alternative is helping change the world tomorrow and throughout eternity.