3d digital fine art render of an Avro Vulcan bomber, post work done with photoshop.
Best viewed Large
The Avro Vulcan (sometimes referred to as the Hawker Siddeley Vulcan) is a jet-powered delta wing strategic bomber, which was operated by the Royal Air Force (RAF) from 1956 until 1984. Aircraft manufacturer A V Roe & Co (Avro) designed the Vulcan in response to Specification B.35/46. Of the three V bombers produced, the Vulcan was considered the riskiest option. Several scale aircraft, designated Avro 707, were produced to test and refine the delta wing design principles.
The Vulcan B.1 was first delivered to the RAF in 1956; deliveries of the improved Vulcan B.2 started in 1960. The B.2 featured more powerful engines, a larger wing, an improved electrical system and electronic countermeasures (ECM); many were modified to accept the Blue Steel missile. As a part of the V-force, the Vulcan was the backbone of the United Kingdom’s airborne nuclear deterrent during much of the Cold War. Although the Vulcan was typically armed with nuclear weapons, it was capable of conventional bombing missions, a capability which was used in Operation Black Buck during the Falklands War between Britain and Argentina in 1982.
The Vulcan had no defensive weaponry, initially relying upon high-speed high-altitude flight to evade interception. Electronic countermeasures were employed by the B.1 (designated B.1A) and B.2 from circa 1960. A change to low-level tactics was made in the mid-1960s. In the mid 1970s nine Vulcans were adapted for maritime radar reconnaissance operations, redesignated as B.2 (MRR). In the final years of service six Vulcans were converted to the K.2 tanker configuration for aerial refuelling. Since retirement by the RAF one example, B.2 XH558, named “The Spirit of Great Britain” has been restored for use in display flights and air shows, whilst two other B.2s, XL426 and XM655, are kept in taxiable condition for ground runs and demonstrations at London Southend Airport and Wellesbourne Mountford Airfield respectively.
AVRO Vulcan B.Mk2 /B.Mk2A
AVRO Vulcan B.Mk2 /B.Mk2A The origin of the Avro Vulcan can be traced back to the response of Roy Chadwick, AVRO’s Chief Designer, to the receipt of Specification B35/46. This was the RAF’s requirement for a four jet nuclear bomber and was initiated due to what became known as the ‘Cold War’. The Vulcan B.Mk2 entered service with the RAF in the 1960’s and had a number of refinements over the B.Mk1, notably Series 201 Olympus engines producing an additional 5,000 lb st, along with an extended tail containing electronic countermeasures. This was the machine which would carry the Blue Steel nuclear missile. During the Cold War years, the Vulcan was allocated the role of a high level, stand-off attack bomber and was painted in pure white to reflect nuclear ‘flash’. From the 1960’s onward, as Soviet air defences improved, the attack profile was changed to low-level penetration and the more familiar camouflage markings were adopted.