This is photo taken from the inside of the light house lens. Light house located just south of winchester bay , oregon USA
The Umpqua River, an area of diverse countryside, was expected to be a central region for trade in Oregon. As a result, the first lighthouse along the Oregon coast was located on the north spit of the Umpqua River. Its light began to shine six miles south of Reedsport on October 10, 1857.
Sadly, this lighthouse was destined for a short life. Oregon’s first attempt at a lighthouse was somewhat unsuccessful, as it fell to the elements of the ocean and its sandy foundation just six years later.
The Umpqua River Bar was found to be somewhat dangerous. Because of this, after the Umpqua River Lighthouse came crashing down, Cape Arago was the chosen location for Oregon’s second lighthouse.
It wasn’t until 1888 that the Lighthouse Board approved funds for building a second lighthouse at the entrance to the Umpqa River. Finally, on December 31, 1894, Umpqua River’s lighthouse began to shine again – this time from a different location. Learning from the first mistake, the second lighthouse was built on a 100 foot ridge, high above the sand dunes and Pacific Ocean below.
Today, this lighthouse is located near the Umpqua Lighthouse State Park.