Taken at West Park Mental Asylum
West Park was the last mental hospital to be developed on the Horton Estate, having been planned since 1906, prior to the opening of neighbouring Long Grove asylum. Initial development to have been completed for opening in 1916. From 1917 the main hospital was largely complete and utilised by Canadian Military, and subsequently handed back to London county council. The complete hospital was anticipated to hold approximately 2,000 patients of mixed class.
The Horton Light Railway, which was extended to convey materials to the site during development, remained in place for goods traffic and entered the grounds from the north terminating at a building close to the water tower. The railway was later closed and removed around 1960. A large detached residence, Hollywood Lodge, was also previously part of the Horton Estate was later used as part of the hospital.
Referred to by David Cochrane as “the eleventh and the last great asylum built for London’s insane” West Park Asylum sits derelict between Epsom and Horton. built by William C Clifford Smith between 1912 and 1921 the asylum is of the Villa Design with an impressive admin block at the front and two storey wards coming off the sides in an almost symmetrical way one side female and one side male.
At one time the Asylum housed 2045 patients.
The Site became completely closed apart from a small section at the rear in 2003 after around 5 years of running down.