Wheal Peevor Mine Redruth Cornwall UK
B&W – Cornish mine
Taken from Wikipedia
Wheal Peevor was a metalliferous mine located on North Downs about 1.5 miles north-east of Redruth, Cornwall, England. The first mining sett was granted here in around 1701 on land owned by the St Aubyn family. It was originally mined at shallow depths for copper, but when the price for that metal slumped after 1788, the mine was able to change to mining tin ore, which was found deeper down. In the late 18th century Wheal Peevor had the advantage of being drained by the Great County Adit which was around 100 metres deep here.
The mine closed in 1889, almost 20 years after the price of tin was depressed due to the discovery of large, easily-mined deposits in the Far East. Some exploratory work was undertaken on the site on several occasions in the 20th century, but no further ore was mined.
Since 2003 more than £800,000 has been spent on preserving the buildings on this derelict site, and it was opened to the public in January 2008. The site is unusual because it contains the remains of three engine houses: the largest engine, with a 72 inch cylinder, was used for pumping water out of the mine; the second, used for winching material in and out of its shaft was at the eastern side of the sett; and the third with a 32 inch engine operated 48 heads of Californian stamps for crushing the ore.