175 g / 6 oz butter
120 ml / 8 tbsp golden syrup
2 eggs beaten
150 ml / 10 level tbsp medium cut orange marmalade
350 g / 12 oz self-raising flour
5ml / 1 tsp baking powder
5 ml / 1 tsp grated nutmeg
5 ml / tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 / ¼ tsp ground cloves
150 ml / ¼ pt milk
50 g / 2 oz corn flakes
1. Butter and line a square cake tin or loaf tin.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter which should be at room temperature with a 90 ml / six level tablespoons golden syrup until well mixed. Gradually beat in the eggs, keeping the mixture extra stiff.
3. Stir half the chopped marmalade into the cake mixture. Mix in the flower sifted with the baking powder and spices, adding sufficient milk to make a fairly stiff consistency.
4. Turn the mixture into prepared cake tin and level the surface.
5. Crush the cornflakes and mix with the remaining syrup and chopped marmalade. Carefully spread over the cake mixture.
6. Bake in the oven at 180°C / 350°F gas mark 4 for about one hour. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Camera: Nikon Coolpix P7100
Focal Length: 6mm
Exposure: 1/30 sec at f/2.8
Post Processing: Lightroom 4
All images © 2012 John Hooton Photography