This is on the Quay in Exeter, Devon in England
Exeter Quayside, Devon
The Quayside at Exeter was originally used by the Romans after their creation of the city in 55AD. It seems that in those days a natural sandstone ledge was used for loading and unloading ships. Real development of the Quayside began in Tudor times, during the short reign of Edward VI. Part of the Tudor waterfront has been preserved beside the visitors centre. This frontage lies a considerable distance back from the present one. By 1680 a customs house had been built to deal with increasing foreign trade. This customs house survives, and is now the oldest customs house in Britain.
Today the Quayside is a complex of small shops and restaurants, using the old warehouse buildings. The cargo ships of the past have been replaced by pedalloes, canoes, and a few yachts. Cruises of the river Exe leave from here. Of course retailing and tourism is just as much a business as serving cargo ships, and somehow the Quay still retains its business-like atmosphere of times gone by. Perhaps this explains why it was used as a location in the television programme The Onedin Line.