Founded in 657 AD by St Hilda. The Abbey fell to a Viking attack in 867 and was abandoned,until refounded in 1078.
The second abbey lasted until 1540 when King Henry 8th , closed the monasteries and it fell into disrepair.
The site was used by Bram Stoker in Dracula.
The site is today open to the public and managed by English Heritage.
Taken with Olympus C300 compact camera