|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
In 1855, the ship America burned in the harbor at Crescent City, California (USA). Three cannons were salvaged from the wreckage and mounted nearby on the point at the northern side of the harbor’s entrance. The cannons, which were often fired during Fourth of July celebrations, resulted in the point being named Battery Point. Although the cannons have since disappeared, the name remains affixed to the point.
A second event occurred that same year that would result in another addition to the point. In May of 1855, Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of a lighthouse on the tiny islet, which is connected to Battery Point by an isthmus at low tide. Although not included in the 1852 contract for the first eight west coast lighthouses, the Battery Point Lighthouse was actually lit ten days before the Humboldt Harbor Lighthouse, the last of the original eight to become operational. The lighthouse, like most of the original eight, was built in a Cape Cod style, with the tower located in the center of the dwelling. The fourth-order Fresnel lens in the lantern room first illuminated the night sky at Crescent City on December 10, 1856.
A large wooden water tank dominates this image of the southwest corner of the lighthouse.
Nikon D700 with a 20 mm f/2.8D lens @ f/11.0
1/500th Second exposure, ISO 400