|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
The battle that took place here on Battle Rock is described on a plaque in Battle Rock Park, which is adjacent to Battle Rock, and which was dedicated to the memory of the Dene Tsut Dah, the ancient people that first lived here, and also to the founders of Port Orford. Sadly, in 1850, the U.S. Congress passed what was called the Oregon Donation Land Act. It allowed white settlers to place claims on the Dene Tsut Dah land – without their consent. On June 9, 1851 Captain William Tichenor from the steamship “Sea Gull” landed with nine men in the first attempt to establish a white settlement. War ensued. Tichenor’s men were on Battle Rock and had a canon from the steamship with them. They were able to hold off the Natives. Some of the Natives were killed, but the white men escaped and later returned with 70 well armed men and took the land from the Dene Tsut Dah. One of the settlers is buried on the rock.
Nikon D700 w/20 mm f/2.8D Lens @ f/9.0. 1/320th second, ISO 400