Taken from Signal Hill, this is a photo of Cabot Tower, in St. John’s Newfoundland. Cabot Tower was built in 1897 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of John Cabot’s discovery of Newfoundland.
In addition to being the site of harbor defenses for St. John’s from the 18th century to the Second World War, Signal Hill was the reception point of the first transatlantic wireless signal by Guglielmo Marconi in 1901. He received the letter “S” in Morse Code sent from Cornwall, England.
Cabot Tower is now the center of the Signal Hill National Historic Park, Canada’s second largest historic park, with walking trails, and an interpretation center.
Special Thanks to Colin Tobin for use of his camera and the lessons!