In between doing many other tasks today, I relaxed for ten, and picked up a book called ‘Guernsey in old Photographs.’
Coming from the island and being brought up there until I left at 23 years old, I was taking great delight in some of the old images.
Some of them are definitely older than me, and others I can recall as a teenager.
I was particularly interested in the latter part of the book where the final chapter was entitled ‘Disasters.’
Now, I often see in the bleakest of circumstances a funny side; not always of course, if someone is badly injured or leaves this rather strange and upside down world for good!
But today, I chuckled.
Yes, …..I really did!
I know how we can make silly mistakes. The brain takes on a backward flip and the most stupidest thing you can do,………. you just do it!
Have you been there? I have, but then again, that’s me!
One of the images was of part of an island cemetery landsliding into a quarry along with a load of burst open coffins and wayward tombstones. Yes, I had a ‘video’ running in my head that might make me laugh but would never be a block-busting film.
Then I turned the page, and another photo was of a mechanical excavator getting stuck in the harbour seabed when the tide was out. When is an excavator NOT an excavator? Yep! When it’s stuck in the seabed!
There were some fire disasters with no-one injured. Be thankful for small mercies I say.
But then…. here is the cracker.
In December 1974 a local lady resident had decided to get up early and the first thing she reached for was a cigarette. She lit it and…………
Well, her day went with a right bang. Her house blew up and by good fortune she managed to get out and rushed to a neighbour’s house for cover.
The funniest comment that had me in stitches was the fact that the day before, she had suspected a gas leak when her budgie had died!
Fancy that! Your budgie warns you, then next day you get up light a ciggie, house goes puff, and that confirms there was a gas leak!
So next time anyone who has gas fitted in the house and your budgie dies, you suspect a gas leak but goes to bed and are fortunate enough to live through the night………don’t light a fag when you get up!
Oh how the human brain can blip!
How to have an explosive day!