Scotney Castle this afternoon – always so tranquil!
Scotney Castle was originally a 12th century fortified manor house, founded by Lambert de Scoteni. In 1378, Roger de Ashburnham founded an irregular stone quadrangle castle, with an outer ward. Supported on two platforms and encased by a wide moat, the surviving curtain wall of the inner ward, is now only a revetment to the moat. Flanked by heavily machicolated round angle towers and a gatehouse, only the Ashburnham Tower is complete. The piers of the gatehouse and the emplacements of the towers, one with a doorway, give their location. The Darrell family, rebuilt the south wing in 1580 and added a three storey brick east range in 1640. In the 19th century, the castle and the east wing were dismantled, to make a romantic garden feature.
Nikon D300, Sigma 10-20mm
5 bracketed exposures merged in Photomatix