Sony a350 18-70mm lens at 18mm
Taken in French Lick, Indiana
The hotel, built in 1902, is a major feat of engineering. It has an immense covered steel and glass dome, 200 feet in diameter, which was the largest in the world when built. The hotel fell on hard times after the 1929 stock market crash and was owned by 2 colleges.
In 1992 Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana spent $140,000 to stabilize the hotel, matching a $70,000 contribution from an anonymous donor. The work included patching the roof, constructing scupper openings in parapets, installing tie rods, and shoring up the fourth through sixth floors on either side after a collapse. When a gambling license was awarded and a casino built in the area restoration resumed at the West Baden Springs Hotel in the summer of 2006. It reopened as a hotel in May 2007 for the first time since 1932, with 246 rooms/suites. The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.