Designed by colonial architect James Barnet, the building was constructed in stages from 1866 to 1891. (The former GPO was demolished in 1862 but one of its six columns still stands in Mount Street Plaza, North Sydney Another can be found off Bradley’s Head, Mosman.)
The clock tower was demolished in 1942 to reduce the visibility of the GPO in case of an air attack on Sydney. It was rebuilt in 1964.
This building was the headquarters of the NSW postal system until 1996, when it was sold and refurbished. The building now contains shops, cafes, restaurants, and bars. The Westin hotel and Macquarie Bank office towers stand in the former courtyard, now converted into an atrium Australia Post maintains a presence in the form of a “Post Shop” at the corner of Martin Place and George Street
Technique: HDR 5 Bracketted Exposures , tonemapped in Photomatix
Equipment: Nikon D300 Sigma 10-20mm