A Pub in Sydney making use of Heritage Bank Building
The Bank of Australia’s ‘Southern Branch’ was established on this site during 1879 in rented premises.
In 1886 the existing building was constructed under the supervision of Architects Wardell & Vernon, comprising bank premises and shop accommodation for rental. The property was owned by the Estate of James Powell and was sold to the Bank of Australasia in 1902 for 10,000 pounds.
The building was altered in 1912, when the old shop fronts were filled in to match the remainder and the banking chamber extended.
The site is noteworthy for its association with banking, first as the Bank of Australasia from 1879, and subsequently as the ANZ bank from 1970 until its closure in 1998.
The building re-opened as a licensed public house in September 2000 in time for the Sydney Olympic Games.
The building is an excellent example
of Victorian Italianate Architecture and is an important element in the streetscape.
The design is dominated by a curved corner pediment which addresses the intersection of George & Liverpool St’s.
The building is listed in the City of Sydney Heritage Inventory and the Register of the National Estate.
More information Here:
Technique HDR, 5 Bracketted Images Photomatix
Equipment Nikon d 300 Sigma 10-20mm lens