BEST VIEWED LARGER
Thanks for dropping in the favouritings, Comments and Views are greatly appreciated.
This shot shows a fisherman spinning for fish in Narrabeen lakes the refelctions were wonderful
Narrabeen Lakes is a popular paddling spot on the Northern Beaches of
Sydney. The surrounding hills and trees make it quite sheltered. The fact that
it is right next to one of the world’s best surf beaches is an added bonus
North Narrabeen lies on the northern shores of Narrabeen lagoon, bounded by Warriewood to the north, Elanora Heights to the west and extends east to the ocean at Turrimetta Beach. Narrabeen is opposite on the southern shore of the lagoon.
The first land grants were made to John Lees, 40 acres, Philip Schaffer, 50 acres, and James Wheeler, 80 acres, along the south bank of Mullet Creek. Alex Macdonald was granted 80 acres at the beach in 1815 and west of this land JT Collins had 93.5 acres by 1857.
During the nineteenth century travellers had to ford the lake until 1880 when the first bridge opened. A second bridge at the mouth of the lagoon in Ocean Street was built in 1925.
With the extension of the tram to Narrabeen in 1913 providing easier transport, the whole area around the lake became popular for holidays and camping. A large camping ground became established on the north shore of the lagoon.
In 1946 the Wakehurst Parkway was opened to North Narrabeen connecting the whole Pittwater area directly to Frenchs Forest and Seaforth.
The origins of the name Narrabeen are uncertain, possibilities are: Narrabin, a native plant growing near the lake entrance; Narrabine, an Aborigine girl; narrow beans eaten by early explorers. James Meehan mentions Narrowbang lagoon in his survey in 1815.
Equipment: Nikon D300,nikon 18-200mm lens, handheld
Technique: HDR, 5 Exposures bracketted, Photomatix 3.2 64 Bit, Capture NX