The Ballarat Avenue of Honour is significant as the earliest known memorial avenue to have been planted in Victoria, and appears to have stimulated similar plantings throughout Victoria in the years 1917 to 1921. They predominate in Victoria with the greatest concentration in the Central Highlands around Ballarat. These avenues represent a new egalitarian approach in the commemoration of soldiers where service rank was not a consideration and are illustrative of a peculiarly Australian, populist and vernacular response to the experience of the First World War. They had declined in popularity as a means of commemoration by the time of the Second World War (Criterion A.4) The Ballarat Avenue is the longest avenue of honour in Australia and, composed of exotic trees planted along a major road, is a dominant landscape feature in the low farming country with a powerful social message.
The Avenue of Honour is located along the Ballarat Burrumbeet Road (former Western Highway) approximately 4 kilometres north west of the Ballarat City Centre. The Avenue is presently comprised of a total of 3,332 trees, and covers a distance of approximately 22km in length. It begins at the Arch of Victory in Alfredton, runs westward to Lake Burrumbeet where it changes direction and heads north, crossing the Western Freeway Bypass and continuing along Avenue Road to Weatherboard Learmonth Road. It is a continuous Avenue except where the Western Freeway Bypass has recently been constructed across it, and just south of this point where only a single row of trees lines the road on the east side.
Arch of Victory Unveiled 2nd June 1920
The result of a great deal of work by the girls employed by E Lucas and Co., who raised the money required to build the Arch.
The foundation stone was laid on the 7th February 1920 by General Sir William Birdwood and the Arch was opened on the 2nd of June 1920 by the Prince of Wales. The Arch is made of bricks, cement rendered. On sunday 13th March 1938, Mr S Walker, President of the Ballarat RSSIA unveiled the Temple of Remembrance which is situated at the entrance of the Avenue of Honour. The temple houses a Book of Remembrance which contains a number of steel sheets upon which have been inscribed the names of every person in whose honour a tree has been planted in the Avenue. On the 7th of November 1954, Lieutenant General Sir Leslie Morshead unveiled two tablets to acknowledge the services of the men and women from Ballarat in the 1939 – 1945 war.
Equipment: Nikon D300, Nikon 18-200mm,manfrotto tripod
Technique: HDR 5 Bracketted Images photomatix 3.2 and Capture NX