The Port Arthur Historic Site today contains many traces of its former uses, including the 19th century prison and the later free township of Carnarvon/Port Arthur. The conservation of this rich and evocative landscape, as well as the associated archival resources, is an ongoing challenge.
Protection for some of the ruins began as early as 1916, when the old penal station became one of Australia’s earliest gazetted historic site, administered by the Scenery Preservation Board. Over the next 50 years former convict buildings were reacquired from private ownership by the Tasmanian government, and vital restoration works carried out.
By the 1970s, with the site under the management of the National Parks and Wildlife Service, concerted efforts were made to conserve some of the more significant convict buildings, culminating in a major program of redevelopment and conservation works between 1979-1986. In 1987 custody of the historic site was vested in the Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority (PAHSMA), which still manages the site today. The work of the Authority involves conserving and interpreting the evidence for the various historical periods that have created the Port Arthur of today. The challenge of making the site accessible to over 200,000 visitors that visit annually while protecting its fragile fabric provides particular challenges.
Technique :HDR tone mapping, 5 exposures , photomatix
Equipment: Nikon D70 , Tripod 18-200 lens