BEST VIEWED LARGER
Prior to European settlement and well into the 19th century the Quibaree Clan, part of the larger Kuringgai Tribe, occupied Lavender Bay.
In 1805 Robert Campbell purchased a large section of land on the waterfront of the North Shore, between Lavender Bay and Careening Cove. James Milson settled on this land in 1806.
During the 1850’s, subdivision and sale led to increased settlement in the Lavender Bay and Milsons Point area. A large number of stately homes were built overlooking the Bay, including ‘Quiberee’, ‘Neepsend’ and ‘Hellespont’. From 1881 to 1975 the Lavender Bay (formerly Cavill’s) bath-house and baths operated from the now reclaimed land adjacent to the rail viaduct in Quibaree Park.
Much of the land in the subdivision was reserved for the construction of the railway in 1893, after which it was largely given over to parkland; becoming Watt Park and Quibaree Park. Watt Park is named after Alderman Charles W. Watt, the Mayor of North Sydney from 1923 – 1926, and an alderman from 1907 – 1936. Charles Watt conducted a ship’s contractors business at McMahons Point for many years. Clark Park commemorates the name of his predecessor, Alderman E. M. Clark, Mayor of North Sydney from 1918 – 1919.
Quibaree Park was created following a residential development at the end of King George Street. This Park acknowledges the importance of the former boat building operations in Lavender Bay, including the remains of the Nepture Engineering Company’s slipway, and the former Aboriginal name for the Bay – Quiberie – meaning a spring of fresh water. The Metropolitan Aboriginal Lands Council approved the naming of this new Park in 1995 with the suggested appropriate spelling as ‘Quibaree’.
Equipment: Nikon D300, Sigma 10-20mm, Handheld
Technique: HDR 5 Bracketted Exposures, Photomatix 3.2 Capture NX