BETER VIEWED LARGER
Customs House is a treasure of early architecture of early Sydney, it has many features of beautifully carved Sydney Sandstone. This shot features the coat of arms decorated by early colonial craftsmen (convicts?)
The present Customs House represents a complete redesign and enlargement of an earlier 1844 building by Mortimer Lewis (1796-1879) by James Barnet (1827-1904). The earlier building had become too small and overcrowded for the expanding customs work in Sydney, and it took six years before the problem was addressed.
The original client department occupied the building until 1990, after which the Federal Government made a gift of it to Sydney City Council together with funds for its refurbishment. There was, however, a proviso that the building be put to majority public use.
Tonkin Zulaikha and Jackson, Teece, Chesterman & Willis were commissioned to convert the building into a culture and information centre with restaurants and a large central atrium space. The future of the building had been hotly contested by various interests including music organisations that wished to convert it to a recital hall.
The Building is Heritage listed
Equipment: Nikon D300, Nikon 18-200mm Lens, Manfrotto Tripod
Technique: HDR 5 Exposures, Photomatix 3.2, NIkon Capture NX